If you get “Permanent residence”, your nationality is not change and you will stay in Japan as a foreigner.
“Permanent residents” doesnt mean to acquire Japanese citizenship.
If you want to acquire Japanese citizenship, you will apply for Naturalization Application. When you take Japanese nationality, you will stay in Japan as a Japanese.
The application destination is also different.
“Permanent residence” is a type of residence status, so apply to the Immigration Bureau.
Naturalization Application apply to the Legal Bureau of the jurisdiction of your address.
What is required by applying for “Permanent residence”?
What are the requirements for acquiring “Permanent residence”?
- That your conduct is good
- Having assets or skills sufficient to make an independent living
- Recognized to be in line with Japanese interests
- Keep staying in Japan for more than 10 years. During this period, stay for at least 5 years with employment qualification or residence qualification
- Not receiving a fine or jail sentence
- Don’t neglect public obligations such as tax obligations
- Being able to stay for the longest period of residence status you have now
- You have no risk of harm from the viewpoint of public health
It is necessary to meet these requirements.
In the following cases, you can apply for permanent residence if you stay in Japan less than 10 years.
- Spouses of Japanese, permanent residents and special permanent residents who have been married for more than 3 years, and have been staying in Japan for more than 1 year.
- Children whose parent meet the above requirement stay in Japan for more than one year .
- Having a status of residence of “Long Term Resident” and staying in Japan for more than 5 years
- A person who has been recognized as a refugee and has been in Japan for more than five years after being certified
- Contributing to Japan in the fields of diplomacy, society, economy, culture, etc. and staying in Japan for more than 5 years
The benefits of “Permanent residence”
The benefits of the status of residence “Permanent residence” include the following.
1. There are no restrictions on employment.
In the case of “permanent residence” there is no restriction.
So you can work in the field which you want to work.
2. There is no restriction on the period of stay.
You do not have to go through the process of updating.
In the case of “Spouse or Child of Japanese National”, it is necessary to change the qualification procedure if you divorce , but in the case of “permanent residence”, the change procedure is not necessary even if divorce or bereavement.
However, if there is a criminal act or something that is forced to leave, you will not be in Japan!