All visas except permanent residence (residence status) have a fixed period of stay.

This period is 3 months for short and 5 years for long.
Your period of stay is written on the residence card.

The period of stay is determined by individual circumstances.
A person with the same visa as you may have a longer / shorter stay than you.

You must do the extend procedures before the period of stay expires.

If you stay after the period of stay , you will be overstayed.
If you want to stay in Japan after your period of stay, you must complete the extend process within that period.

Again, …

Each person is given a different period of stay.
Even if your friend gets a 5 year period, you may not get 5 years.

The period of stay is written on the residence card, so let’s check how long it must be renewed.


If your situation has not changed since the last extend procedure, the extend procedure in this time is not difficult.

” The situation has not changed” means that If you have a work visa, you are working in the same company, and if you have a spouse visa, you keep being married to the same person.

What happens when you change jobs or are divorced?

When you change jobs

If you have a work visa and have changed jobs at the time of extend, the immiguration will screen to see if your job is suitable.

This is determined by your background and experience.

If you are doing work that is not suitable for the scope of your current visa, you must change your status of visa .

When you are divorced

If you have “spouse of Japanese” and are divorced, you must change the status of visa because you are no longer a spouse.

If you have graduated from university or have been working before marriage, you may change your work visa.

If you are raising a Japanese child, you can consider changing to a “long term resident”.

In either case, it cannot always be changed.