Status of residence “Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / International Services”

The status of residence(visa) “Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / International Services” is the most frequent visa for foreigners working in a Japanese company .

” Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / International Services ” corresponds to white-collar occupations with specialized knowledge.

Typical job descriptions include the following.



.Trade business

·Interpretation and translation

·public relations


・ IT engineer such as SE

· Electrical and mechanical engineers

. CAD operator

. Product management

What are the requirements for a “Engineer / Specialist in Humanities / International Services” visa ?

  • Relationship between job content and major at university or vocational school

For example, if you work as a designer, you need to major in art or design at a university or vocational school.

In the case of SE, if your major is information processing, it can be easy to be recognized relevance.

If you graduated only high school , you need 3 to 10 years of experience in the job which is same to job content.

In this case, you have to prove the number of years of experience required by issuing a certificate of employment .

  • There is a job contract between the employer and the foreigner.

If you do not have a contract, you will not get a visa because no contract means you have no job.

  • Business condition of the company

It means that employers can hire employees in a stable manner.

  • Receive the same level of treatment as Japanese employee

It means that you are treated the same as the Japanese who work in the same job content

  • Your behavior is good.

The immigration bureau will not accept if your behavior is bad – ex: you have a criminal record .